Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I'm Back & Still Kickin'

Hello there! How has the last week and half been for you? Mine has been a whirlwind of... not much.  One of the blessings (and curses) of having surgery is the inability to move around much.  So for about a week, I spent my time sleeping and laying in bed.

Let's get into the surgery a little bit.  Justin and I had to arrive at the hospital by 5:30 a.m. in order for me to have plenty of time to be prepped for surgery.  Let me tell you, that was no feat getting us both up and out of the door that early, but we did it and we made it in time.  It was also at that time when I finally started freaking out about the surgery.

I honestly was not sure how I was going to react when the time came and even thought I was not going to react at all, but when I sat down in the waiting area before surgery, I started to get really scared and started to cry some.  

Around 6:00 (after filling out what felt like a hundred pages of paperwork, they took me back to get prepped for the surgery.  This part wasn't all that bad with the exception of getting the IV.  Then Justin came in and we hung out for about 45 minutes watching "I Love Lucy" and "Dog with a Blog".  I know, random TV choices right? Well there really is not much on at 6:30 in the morning on a Thursday. 

The next part really is a blur.  They told me they were giving me medicine in my IV to help me relax and the next thing I know, I'm waking up and in the recovery room. The first thing I remember asking the lady to do was to "please hold my hand" and she did and then I went back out until they started giving me more oxygen and I woke up.  Once I was officially awake and ready to go, they dressed me in my own clothes and delivered me to a very eager Justin to make our way home.

Upon arriving home, my cousin Stephanie showed up with a cute Eeyore balloon and a card.  She happened to arrive at the perfect time because it gave Justin a chance to run out and get my pain medicine script filled.  She hung out for a half hour or so before he got back and I promptly fell asleep for a few hours.

Later that day, my mom and Danielle stopped by to see me after they got off of work.  I managed to grab a Snapchat of Danielle hanging out while she was there.  She also brought me a super cute coffee cup and some calming chamomile tea to drink for when I was in pain.  Such a sweet gift.

My mom brought me a delicious slurpee because I had a severe sore throat from the breathing tube they had to put in during surgery.  She hung out for a little bit before she had to make her way to another event she had planned.

 My friend Sarah was actually making her way to California to see her boyfriend so she wasn't able to stop by after the surgery, but she made sure to send me some beautiful flowers.  And my in-laws also stopped by with a pretty daisy bouquet.  I absolutely love daisies!

I spent the next nine days recovering by laying in bed/sleeping/eating and repeating.  There really is not much I was able to do until this past weekend when I went out with the ladies{but that deserves it's own post}.  

I wanted to give my mom a shout out because she was SUPER helpful while I was recovering.  Between the meals she brought over and the time she spent helping me with chores around the house, she really was a blessing to both Justin and me.  

Overall the surgery and recovery was not too bad.  Yes, there was some pain, but it was not too terrible.  If you are in the position where you need your gall bladder removed, I would recommend that you do not put it off.  The longer you put it off, the worse it gets.

Question of the Day:
What types of surgery have you had and how long was the recovery time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!