Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Uruguay Days 1 & 2

Happy Wednesday Friends! I hope all is well and you are having a great week so far! I made it home safely from Uruguay on Monday and I am finally catching up on everything I needed to get done before going back to work today.

Over the next week or so I am going to do some posts recapping my trip to Uruguay.  It honestly is just too much to cram into one post.  I am hoping that three will be plenty, but I may end up needing to do four. 

Day 1

Getting to Uruguay took two flights - one from Detroit to Miami and another from Miami to Montevideo.  On our first flight, we were able to watch The Kingsman on my iPad since American Airlines had it for free.  Since we did not have a headphone splitter, Sarah used my phone and we matched the timing up on both devices so she could watch on the iPad with Christina and I.  It actually worked very well!

For some reason both flights were very warm.  Of course we all wore warmed clothes under the assumption that the airplanes would be cold and we would need the layers.  On the flight from Miami to Montevideo, we were given the option to watch "Inside Out".  I was super excited that this movie was playing since I had never seen it before... however, I only made it about thirty minutes into the movie before passing out.

Welcome to Montevideo! After a rough flight with no sleep and no comfort we finally made it to Uruguay! Prior to our arrival, Sarah arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport and give us a ride to her parents apartment.  During the drive to the airport, Justin called to tell me that Frye was very sick and we would likely have to put him down because he needed surgery and we could not afford the surgery.  Suffice to say, it was a very tearful drive for me to the apartment {don't worry though! Frye is okay and he ended up getting the surgery he needed - I will do a separate post on this tomorrow}.

After taking a little nap, we headed out to meet Sarah's dad at his school {he is in Uruguay to take Spanish lessons} and have lunch with her dad.  We ended up going to a local cafe for lunch and we all tried the local food: Chivito.  I personally did not enjoy the sandwich, but it was a favorite among the group.  

After lunch, we learned how to drink Mate (mah-te) from one of the teachers at Sarah's dad's school.  I was pretty excited to try this as I had read all about it before I left.  Turns out I really liked it, so I made sure to buy myself a mate cup and all the other necessary parts of drinking mate.


The evening ended with us learning how to Tango dance at a local venue and a {very} late dinner.  The instructor hardly spoke any English, but he was still able to show us the steps.  We each took turns dancing with the gentlemen there as well as Sarah's dad and it was awesome! I definitely would like to learn how to Tango Dance more here at home.  Anyone know where I can do that?

One thing I did not know about Uruguay is that people eat four big meals a day:
1. Breakfast between 10-11 am
2. Lunch at 3:00 pm or so        
3. First dinner at 7:00 pm         
4: Second dinner at 10:00 pm  

{Anyone else think of Lord of the Rings? Bueller?}

So we went to a local cafe right by the apartment to have second dinner at Jacinto.  The food was so delicious.  I wish I could have brought some home with me.  Yuuuummmyyyyy.

Day 2

On the second day, we all slept in a bit since we had had a busy day of travelling and adventures the day before.  After breakfast, we went out to the local mercado to shop around and look at all of the fun nick knacks for sale.  Christina ended up purchasing some fun items for her niece and nephews and the Jones' picked up a few awesome prints to use as decoration at home.

After shopping, we went to lunch at the oldest cafe in Montevideo: Brasilero.  Like the night before, the food was SUPER delicious.  

Can you tell I do not know how to use a selfie stick? I got this one in exchange for an honest review - be looking for that post next week! 

After a quick rest from shopping, the ladies all piled into a taxi to head to the Castle Pittamiglio.  It was so strange going to this castle because it has towering apartment buildings all around it.  It almost seems that the world kept going while the castle stood still.

An interesting fact about this castle is that it was built and owned by an alchemist.  If you don't know what that is, do not worry, I did not know either.  But essentially, Alchemy is about achieving perfection and this mans home {castle} was built to reflect his desire to have perfect balance in his life.  Unfortunately, the entire tour was in Spanish so I did not get all of the detailed information about the castle, but it was awesome to be standing in such a beautifully built home and to walk in the foot steps of someone who was attempting to achieve perfection. 

The evening ended with a trip to Baar Fun Fun.  Just like many of the other places we visited in Montevideo,  Baar Fun Fun is the oldest standing bar in Montevideo.  For this evening, we went for the entertainment and the drinks.  While we were there, we tried Uvita - which is very sweet and also bitter all at once.  Personally, I liked it and would drink it again.  The girls, on the other hand, were not big fans.  While we were there, we ran into some of Papa Jones' classmates and enjoyed their company during the entertainment.  I really loved watching the couple dance because they seemed to in tune with each other and were just having fun.  

Okay! That is the end of days 1 and 2! Be looking for another post shortly.

Question of the Day: What is the oldest building you have been to?

I'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!